longevity, lifestyle, mens sana in corpore sana
TALK OF IKARIA O Nicaria, as one of the most characteristic and less touristy islands of Greece. For the longevity of the population, thinking to Italy, we can compare Icaria to Sardinia. For example Villagrande Strisaili, in the province of Nuoro, in 2014 entered the Guinness Book of Records for the longest male population of the world. And ‘the country with the highest percentage of centenarians per capita and where men are most likely to arrive to take 100 years.
Returning to Greece, the population of Ikaria in the eyes of researchers is really phenomenal. It ‘was the subject of a study which revealed that the majority of older people not only live very long but “forgets” to get sick. Few cases of nineties cancer, dementia or cardiovascular disease.
Arrived at a certain age simply die of old age. Diane Kochilas dedicated to the island of Icaria and its people the book “Ikaria: Lessons on Food, Life, and Longevity from the Greek Island Where People Forget to Die.” In his work he collected the 6 secrets of longevity of the inhabitants of Icaria.
1) Eat local produce and seasonal. Eat local produce in season, but especially feed sparingly, do not overdo it with too abundant portions. The inhabitants of Icaria who now have 80, 90 and 100 years since the young have faced poverty and famine. Ate meat only two or three times a year, in times of celebration. The fish was accessible only to fishermen. Centenarians by young ate what nature offered, such as mushrooms and wild herbs, in addition to what they grew in their garden. Even today, the food on the island is simple and not very developed, beyond a few restaurants.
2) Living without haste. The inhabitants of Icaria live without haste. Their daily life follows a slow pace. Everyone has enough time to enjoy every moment. People have time to stop and listen to your body as occurs during meditation, so they realize if at some point there may be problems or diseases. For Icaria is legendary tendency to enjoy life without fear the passage of time.
3) Sleep well and take a nap. Sleep well and enjoy the sleep and rest. That’s one of the secrets of longevity of the inhabitants of Icaria. Will clean air and relaxing atmosphere to encourage good rest on this island. The elders do not give up the afternoon nap. And even the youngest, at least in the summer or during the holidays, rediscovering this good habit.
4) Be free from constraints. Let go. Free from negative links and conditioning is part of the culture of the people of Icaria and Greece in general. Here the locals tend to appear welcoming, helpful and approachable. The stress almost does not exist. The typical local holidays they see at the center of the traditional dances are related to the ability to let go, have fun and be happy.
5) Choose herbs and natural remedies. The inhabitants of Icaria know healing herbs on the island and prefer natural remedies. The culture linked to the collection of medicinal herbs is really very important and worth further consideration according to the author of the book devoted to this population centennial.
6) Walking. We know that walking for at least 30 minutes a day is useful to keep us healthy. The plain and simple walk is accessible to everyone, including the elderly, who do not ever give up. People get older still walk a lot and also this good habit is considered one of their secrets of longevity.
Meditate and many times we say no, I have no time, but there is always time x getting sick !!